Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Telfer: Young women have different outlook toward abortion

John "Jack" Telfer, editor of the Midland Daily News, notes that there seems to be a shift in attitudes of young women toward abortions. The trend has "pro-choice" supporters worried, if you're wondering. (Title link)

hat tip: http://www.covenantnews.com/abortion/archives/016485.html Pro-Life News via http://www.prolifeblogs.com/articles/aggregator.php?filter=1 ProLifeBlogs Aggregator

On the other side of that, I've seen several young women around here under pressure to have an abortion, if everything wasn't lined up just so. Mustn't have to change career plans or get married or be out of pocket on finances, you know. Mustn't be encumbered. (For that matter, a lot of guys seem to think that they should be able to avoid child support payment by any means at hand...) So I think we have a long ways to go - but that more and more young people are willing and able to see unborn children as unborn children even when they're seen as inconvenient for one or more of the baby's relatives, that women are seeing through the hypocrisy of a baby only having rights if circumstances are jolly or the mother has religious convictions - these I think are trends in the right direction.

See also http://themediansib.blogspot.com/2005/11/abortion-right-to-choose.html The RIGHT to choose? over at the Median Sib.

Carol at The Median Sib seems to be coming at this from a perspective with which I'm all too familiar. I was pro-choice, more or less parroting the party line - and then I stopped to think it through on my own. It was not a happy awakening, because I felt I'd been wrong, wrong, wrong. But it was an awakening, and I don't envision any way of going back.

No comments: