Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Selfish Shabbat

re: Sarah Zeldman: "...I began to observe Shabbat for only one reason. I was selfish. /I looked around me and saw friends and family who never knew when to stop working. They never stopped pursuing the American Dream. I saw friends who were depressed and wondering, "Is this what life is all about?" But they suppressed the question in various ways because they did not know where to go for answers. /I saw families come apart at the seams, partly due to a commitment to the "pursuit of happiness" (read: financial wealth) at the expense of a commitment to family life and spiritual growth. I saw a country that more and more tragically reflected the consequence of these decisions. /So I began to observe Shabbat, because I wanted a better life..."...but...

No comments: