Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Allthings2all: Living in Community: Getting Past the Church Criticism Fad

re: "I received some unsolicited email in my inbox yesterday, from some-one I don't know, which made me think. The email was promoting a website which is designed to create a network of Christians who help each other practically. The basic idea was that people sign up to give and receive practical help. For example, if you have clothes you don't wear anymore you offer them to some-one in the network who needs clothes. If you have skills in a particular area you offer to mentor some-one needing asistance in that area. It sounded like a good idea when I first looked at it, and I'm sure some people will get involved. / But something struck me, something I've been thinking about. Shouldn't these things be happening in our Christian communities - our churches? If some-one in a church has clothes they know they never wear anymore, and some-one else needs clothes - wouldn't it be obvious that person A would offer the clothes to person B? And should there be no-one in the church in need of the clothes, surely there would be a local op shop (thrift shop) or mission which could easily pass them on to some-one. As much as I can appreciate the initiative to want to create practical solutions, it seems to me that the Christian community we live in would be where these things take place. What does it say about a Christian community if members have to go to a website to obtain help with clothing, transport, or practical advice?..."...

hat tip: Shannon

No comments: