Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Townhall.com::Abortion: A case of missing perceptions::By Phil Harris

re: "...As one who will argue for the life choice, I have wondered how it is possible for anyone to take the other side in good conscience, yet I recognize that most people do not do so because they are evil. I have examined my own mind, to understand why I feel the way I do. There is not a particularly religious reason for my convictions; rather, I think it is more of a paternal reaction for me. More than twenty years ago, we had a little girl who died just before her fifth month. It was a horrible time for us. The grief that I experienced was difficult, and it burned for several years before time dulled the memory. /A number of years later, a young married woman, with whom we were acquainted, was conversing with my wife. For some reason the subject of losing our daughter came up. My wife and I were stunned by the young woman’s question about the loss. She asked, “Were you sad?” We were not angry that she asked the question, just surprised that she did not instinctively know. Surprised that she did not know that the word sad was insufficient to describe our suffering. She seemed to be missing a critical perception of life that was extremely relevant to us, but completely absent for her. /After considering that conversation over the years, I believe the woman’s question may be a window toward understanding the life or choice divide..."...

No comments: